Canadian Butter Tarts
- Standard Muffin Pan
- 2 ¼ c all-purpose flour plus extra for flouring
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 c cold butter cubes
- 6-8 tbsp ice water
- ¾ c lightly packed brown sugar
- ¼ c corn syrup
- ¼ c butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c raisins or walnuts optional
To Make The Crust
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in cold butter until a crumbly mixture forms or use a food processor on pulse until pea-sized pieces are formed.
- Add in cold water 1 tablespoon at a time and cut in with a fork. Dough make take more or less water depending on how dry the flour is. Add only enough water until dough loosely stays together and only mix until just combined. Try not to overwork the dough.
- Cut dough in half and form into 2 halves. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Turn first half of dough out onto floured work surface. Roll out dough and cut into rounds using a 4” biscuit or cookie cutter. Repeat with other half of dough until you have 12 rounds. Fit into standard muffin pan and place into fridge to chill.
To Make The Filling
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Pour each of the filling ingredients into a medium bowl. Mix well.
- If adding raisins or nuts sprinkle them on the bottom of the dough cups. Next pour in filling to 2/ 3 full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tarts are golden on top and filling is beginning to set. Allow to cool before removing from pan.