This is a crazy awesome gluten free cake made with clementines or fresh (not canned) mandarin oranges. There's some prep time involved, but you've got nothing but time at home right now.
- 8" springform pan
- parchment paper
- 4-5 clementines (about 1 pound total weight)
- 6 eggs
- 1 c sugar plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 ⅓ c almond flour
- 1 heaping tsp baking powder
- powdered sugar
- lemon juice
- Place clementines in a pot with cold water to cover, bring to a boil, and cook for 2 hours.
- Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the seeds.
- Finely chop the skins, pith, and fruit in the processor (or by hand, of course).
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Butter and line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the eggs. Add the sugar, almonds, and baking powder.
- Mix well, adding the chopped clementines.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, cover with foil, and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
Glaze and Topping
- Make a glaze from confectioner's sugar mixed to a paste with lemon juice and a little water.
- Decorate the cake with glaze and sliced oranges or clementines.