Cream Cheese Strawberry French Toast Muffins
This makes a delightful breakfast surprise for everyone in your social distanced household!
- muffin pan
- 12 slices white bread
- ¼ c whole milk
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter-melted (to grease the pan)
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓-½ c fruit (small diced strawberries or blueberries)
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- ¼-½ tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- ¼ c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Brush cupcake pan with melted butter and set aside. This recipe makes 6 muffins.
- Using 4-inch round cookie cutter cut out the center of 6 slices of bread. Using 3-inches cookie cutter cut out remaining 6 slices of bread for tops.
- To make the filling stir together cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla and sugar until smooth. Fold in the fruit, set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, milk, 1 Tbsp. brown sugar and vanilla. Dip 4-inches round of bread in the egg mixture, then press into the center of a cupcake cavity. Repeat with remaining rounds.
- Divide the filling between the cups.
- Now use 3-inches circle of bread, dip in egg mixture and place on top of the filling. Gently press the edges to adhere and press into the sides of the pan. Seal it well.
- Mix ¼ cup of brown sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle generously on top of each muffin.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown and crisp on top.
- Let it cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove from the pan and serve. If the muffins are slightly stick to the pan, run a thin knife around each muffin.
- To make the glaze, stir powdered sugar and milk. If it’s too thick add more milk, and if it’s too thin add more powdered sugar to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over the muffins.