Creamy Tomato Rigatoni Pasta
Quick to make and the family will go crazy for it!
- 1 lb dry rigatoni pasta
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- ½ small onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ⅛-¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes ⅛ for no heat, ¼ for some heat
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 ½ c heavy cream
- 1 ½ c tomato pasta sauce
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil over high heat. Add rigatoni, reduce to medium and cook to al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion and cook until softened and beginning to brown.
- Stir in garlic, salt, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes and pepper. Cook 1 minute but do not let the garlic burn.
- Stir in flour until no white remains.
- Add cream and tomato sauce and stir until combined. Continue simmering over medium heat until slightly thickened.
- When pasta is cooked, reserve 1 cup pasta water and drain.
- Add cooked pasta to finished sauce in pan, and stir in just enough pasta water so that the sauce comes together (start with ¼ cup and add more as needed).
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.