Ginger Sandwich Cookies
- 2 ¼ c all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ c butter
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- ¼ c molasses
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 c butter (softened)
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 c powdered sugar
- 1 jar marshmallow creme or fluff
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a sifter and sift into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg. Then, stir in the molasses.
- Add the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch sized balls, rolling them into the granulated sugar.
- Place the cookies a couple of inches apart onto the lined baking sheet, flattening slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, letting them cool before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixture on medium speed until the butter is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. (You can also use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.)
- Add in the almond extract and salt.
- Add in the confectioners' sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time. Once all the sugar is added, mix on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Once fully combined, gently fold the marshmallow creme into the frosting by hand. This can be used immediately or refrigerated until ready to use.