Sometimes the kids want macaroni and cheese but you want something for more refined tastes, right? This Two-Way Skillet Mac & Cheese has something for the kids and for the adults. Check it out and let us know if you love it as much as we did!
Two-Way Skillet Mac and Cheese
- Oven-safe skillet
- 1 lbs macaroni, penne, or medium shells
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ c flour
- 3 c milk
- 2 oz Gruyere, grated ½ cup
- 4 oz sharp Cheddar, grated 1 ¼ cups
- 5 oz Parmesan, finely grated 1 ½ cups
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 oz pasteurized lump crab meat
- 6 oz frozen artichoke hearts thawed and squeezed
- 1 ½ tbsp minced chives
- ¼ c canned diced green chiles
- ¼ c bread crumbs
- ½ tsp pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions.
- In a 12", ovenproof skillet on medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter.
- Whisk in the flour until a smooth paste is formed.
- Whisk in the milk in a slow, steady stream until smooth. Continue whisking until the mixture begins to bubble, about 7 minutes.
- Whisk in the Gruyere, the Cheddar, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and salt until the cheeses melt; about 1 minute more.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in cooked pasta.
- Transfer 5 cups of the pasta mixture to another ovenproof skillet and set it aside.
- Stir the crab, artichoke hearts, chives, and green chiles into the remaining pasta.
- Adjust the oven rack to 8 inches below the broiler element and set the broiler to low.
- In the microwave, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a small bowl, then toss it with the remaining Parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle half the mixture over the top of each pasta skillet. Sprinkle the pepper over the crab pasta dish.
- Broil both dishes until golden brown and bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Cool the pasta for 5 minutes before serving.