Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Serve this rich and creamy ice cream on its own or paired with hot fudge cake for a decadent treat!
- ice cream machine or ice cream maker mixer attachment
- 3 c heavy cream (or 2 cups heavy cream and 1 cup whole milk)
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 vanilla bean (split in half lengthwise)
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- Pour 1 cup of the cream into a medium saucepan and add the sugar and salt.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the saucepan and add the pod to the pot.
- Warm over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining 2 cups cream (or the remaining 1 cup cream and the milk) and the vanilla extract.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- When ready to churn, remove the vanilla bean, rinsing and reserving it for another use, and then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.